Monday, May 9, 2011

My response to someone who saw no more value in Facebook

It's main purpose is still true, it connects people that otherwise we may never hear from again.  Sure there is a certain amount of "so what?" that comes from that point, but the way our lives are, we would let most people go and move on.  Many of us suddenly have friendships that are now sustained long-distance.  I have re-introduced dozens of people to my life that I would not have ever seen again otherwise.  Many are people that I see regularly now since moving back to Atlanta.  My old D&B restaurant crew reconnected because of FB.   We all hang out again and have had a couple of mass reunion parties.  Dozens of people, together again and interacting daily online; people who would have otherwise been relegated to old photo albums from years gone by.  


Additionally, because of newly formed circles of friends, we have brand new people added to our lives.  There are a few people, my top tier friends, that would never have been in my life at all if not through social media.  One I met on MySpace, without common friends at all...just a common interest...and she is now one of my best friends.  Actually, in some little ways through me, she has affected over a half of a dozen people in my life that have never even met her at all.  It has to do with pop culture but entire new interests have formed for many people just because I introduced something new that she had already introduced to me.  They aren't aware of the origins but I find it fascinating because I can see that we are all Six Degrees of Everybody now. 

....I just now reviewed my recently contacted list on my phone and my interactions on Facebook.  I can honestly say that more than half of my friendships are owed to Facebook keeping them alive or re-sparking them.  And there are several friendships that simply would not have been created at all if not for social media. 

I won't even go into the "networking" aspect that has led to jobs and various opportunities for people.

Sure, we are in responsible for our own privacy.  It is up to us to decide about our level of sharing.  Still, social media as our virtual Roladex is one the most important aspects to the internet which is already one of the most important inventions in human history. 





No comments:

Post a Comment